Slow cooker Spanish pulled chicken is a simple recipe with classic smoky Spanish flavors. Use it throughout the week for healthy sandwiches or combined with pretty much anything to get your barbecue flavor fix! ~Chicken, garlic, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper~
Okay guys, quick question: slow cooker or Instant Pot? To be honest, I’m still slow cooking like nobody’s business and haven’t tried an Instant Pot at all yet. I considered asking for one for Christmas, but then I decided I just wasn’t ready and don’t have the space. I mean, not being trendy is already pretty standard for me. Usually I just do me and sometimes I align with trends, but most of the time I’m still stuck in another decade. Oh! Like the other day, my socks were inadvertently mismatched, but someone told me it’s okay because it’s trendy. (Just humor me).
Getting back to slow cookers vs. Instant Pots, I want to assume that all things slow cooker (and stovetop, for that matter) translate directly to all things Instant Pot, but I’ve heard mixed reports on whether or not this is the case. Then when I’m surfing the Interwebs and I see recipes like this Instant Pot beef stew, I’m all like… wait a minute… do I need this? I think need this.
But then I talk myself out of it, and here we are, staying true to the good old-fashioned slow cooker with no regrets. In fact, the very opposite of regrets. Because this slow cooker Spanish pulled chicken is the stuff slow cooking dreams are made of.
It all started when I was perusing one of my favorite cookbooks (this one, to be exact –> that’s an affiliate link) and a Spanish barbecue chicken recipe caught my eye for various reasons: 1) ‘Spanish’ and ‘barbecue’ were in the recipe name, 2) smoked paprika (self-explanatory), and 3) its simplicity.
It’s a recipe that uses a whole chicken and is meant for the oven, and I’ve made it multiple times as directed in the cookbook with outstanding results (hence the multiple times of making it :)). And yet, every time I made it, I couldn’t help but think of how awesome it would be if similarly flavored recipe could happen in a slow cooker, ending with a pulled chicken sandwich on a plate in front me. I mean… that’s just a situation I daydream about. Frequently.
And then, slow cooker Spanish pulled chicken happened in a low key, not super fancy but insanely delicious way, and I was a very happy person (because, food).
Awesome Things About Slow Cooker Pulled Anything
- Versatility. You can put it on sandwiches, wraps, salads, in bowls with grains and veggies, etc. Or plain, of course. Which is usually what I do on low self-control days. Which occur more often than I like to admit. But seriously, there is SO much you can do with pulled [insert meat here]! Kind of like these summery pulled pork and veggie bowls… or this post about eight different delicious pulled pork ideas. It doesn’t have to be pork… chicken would work too. Shameless plug alert: might I suggest slow cooker Spanish pulled chicken?!
- Healthy. When you make it the right way, aka with clean, whole ingredients and spices, pulled chicken or pork can be very nourishing. Especially when combined with other veggies, grains, or a good slaw.
- Meal Prep. This one goes hand-in-hand with versatility. You can make a bunch of slow cooker pulled chicken (or meat of choice) early in the week, and you’ll have it to make whatever recipes you want throughout the week. Need something quick for lunch? Pulled chicken sandwiches with slaw. Then for dinner it can be a bowl with pulled chicken, quinoa, and a bunch of roasted veggies with fresh herbs and avocado. Plus, it’s kind of like a ready-made snack for when you’re hungry but effort just isn’t happening that day (not to mention it’s delicious). You can have all this variety throughout the week with only having made one pulled chicken (or pork, etc.) recipe. Can I just say SOLD?!
Slow Cooker Spanish Pulled Chicken
Get your slow cookers ready: here’s how slow cooker Spanish pulled chicken is done.
First, rinse about two pounds of raw chicken breasts and pat dry, and place that in the slow cooker. Then you’ll mince up plenty of fresh garlic and add that to the slow cooker with the chicken. In a small bowl, whisk together some olive oil, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Pour that all over the chicken in the slow cooker, and then cook on high for 3-4 hours. Finally, you’ll just have to shred the chicken, making sure to get it all up in that sauce. Done!
That slow cooker magic, though. Let me know how you use your slow cooker Spanish pulled pork! Even better if you snap a picture, post it on Instagram and tag @rootnradishes so I can see 🙂
Slow Cooker Spanish Pulled Chicken
Slow cooker Spanish pulled chicken is a simple recipe with classic smoky Spanish flavors. Use it throughout the week for healthy sandwiches or combined with pretty much anything to get your barbecue flavor fix!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Rinse chicken, pat dry, and place in slow cooker. Add minced garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. I like to add a few more shakes of smoked paprika for good measure.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through completely.
- Shred chicken with two forks, and stir around in the sauce to make sure it’s evenly coated.
- Enjoy plain, on sandwiches, or any way you like!