This is the classic beef chili recipe I grew up with, and it's my favorite to warm up on a CHILI... okay, 'chilly' winter night! Make it on the stovetop or slow cooker for a healthy, high-protein winter meal that will last you into leftovers the next day.
It might just be the Wisconsin in me, but I love a good, classic beef chili, and this recipe is the tried and true beef chili recipe my mom made for our family growing up. So if you need a new recipe to keep you warm during this last month of winter, turn on your stove for this hearty Midwest classic!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Lean ground beef or sirloin - For the meat, I don't recommend going leaner than 90% to keep the beef from drying out.
- Onion, celery, garlic
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Tomato juice or sauce
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder
- Diced green chiles
- Dark red kidney beans
How to Make It
Luckily for us hungry folks, chili is super easy to make! As long as you have a large soup pot or dutch oven, something to stir ingredients with, and at least 35 minutes of patience, you are ready for classic beef chili.
First, you'll heat some olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven, to brown the beef with onion, celery, and garlic. Once the beef is browned, you'll whisk together the tomato paste and beef broth in a separate bowl. Add that mixture, along with the petite diced tomatoes and tomato juice/sauce, to the beef mixture.
Next, you'll add in all the spices and flavorings: sugar, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and diced green chiles. Bring everything to a boil and reduce to a simmer, and allow the chili to simmer for 15 minutes before adding in the kidney beans. After that, simmer for at least 15 more minutes -- longer allows for the flavors to meld more, but 15 minutes will do the trick if that's all the time you have.
All I know is this classic beef chili is healthy, hearty, super flavorful, and really easy to make. You could even throw all of the ingredients into a slow cooker and have it be there for you when you get home from work (or when you're just feeling lazy). This is the chili recipe you're going to want to come home to after skiing, ice skating, sledding, or having snowball fights! So let's warm up, shall we??Print
Favorite Classic Beef Chili
Classic beef chili that's healthy and flavorful with beef, kidney beans and lots of veggies! This chili makes for a high-protein, cozy dinner recipe with plenty of leftovers for the next day.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Soup/Chili
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lb. lean ground beef or sirloin (no leaner than 90% recommended)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz. can beef broth
- 1 can tomato paste
- ¾ cup tomato juice or sauce
- 1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chili peppers
- 1 16 oz. can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Suggested toppings: parmesan or cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado or green onions, tortilla chips
- Brown beef with aromatics: In large saucepan or pot, brown beef with onion, celery and garlic till meat is browned.
- Add broth and tomatoes: Empty beef broth into large measuring cup or bowl, add tomato paste and whisk together until smooth. Stir in beef broth mixture, canned tomatoes, and tomato juice.
- Add spices and chiles: Add sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and diced green chiles. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 15 minutes to bring flavors together. Stir in kidney beans.
- Simmer: Let chili simmer for at least 15 more minutes before serving with any toppings you like!
- Beef/sirloin: I don't recommend going leaner than 90% to prevent the beef from becoming too dry.
- Slow cooker: You can make classic beef chili in the slow cooker, too! Just partially brown the beef instead of fully browning to avoid drying it out. Then, add all the ingredients in the order listed, cover, and cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours.
Keywords: classic beef chili, healthy beef chili recipe