This post contains affiliate links for products I genuinely recommend, which means I earn a small commission at no cost to you.
These simple hummus and veggie snack jars are an easy way to prep healthy snacks for the week! They're perfect for grab and go, right off your fridge shelves.
These snack jars are exactly what they look like: an easy way to prep a healthy hummus and veggie snack that's pre-chopped, pre-dipped, and easy to transport! Whether it's with homemade hummus or your favorite store-bought kind, this simple snack prep method will make raw veggies delicious and convenient... which means you're bound to eat more veggies, right?!
I've suggested the veggies I typically use below, but feel free to pick your favorite vegetables.
- Homemade or store-bought hummus
- Bell peppers
The instructions for this one are about as simple as it gets! You might need to take an extra step and make homemade hummus if you're going that route, but otherwise, it's just a matter of chopping and assembling.
Slice cucumbers, carrots, celery, and bell peppers into sticks about 4 inches long (or a size that fits the container you're using).
Scoop hummus into the bottom of each jar, and stick a variety of veggies in each. Don't be afraid to pack the veggies together!
Put the tops on your jars, and store them in the fridge until you're ready to snack.
Hint: Wide mouth mason jars work best for these hummus and veggie snack jars, but you can also use a shorter container and cut the veggies shorter. The whole idea is to have a layer of hummus in the bottom and veggies dipped into it. This could definitely take the shape/form of other containers that you have on hand!
Substitutions & Variations
Dipping veggies doesn't stop at hummus.
- Hummus - Use your favorite hummus and whatever is easiest, whether that's homemade or store bought! In the photos, you can see that I used a lemon dill hummus we had recently made at home, but we love roasted red pepper hummus.
- Avocado mash - Veggies dipped in avocado mash (or guacamole) are straight up delicious. I usually mash some avocado with lemon juice and coarse salt for a simple avocado mash veggie dip. The lemon also helps keep that avocado from getting brown for a couple days! Only downside is that it will get brown relatively quickly, even with the lemon juice... so eat up!
- Your favorite dip! - Seriously, pick your favorite healthy veggie dip, whether it's homemade or store bought, and add about ¼ cup to the bottom of your jars. Stick the veggies in, cover, and store until you're ready to eat.
For hummus and veggie snack jars, I highly recommend wide mouth mason jars! Wide mouth mason jars a super useful kitchen tool whether or not you're into canning. I use them daily for a variety of recipes like shaking up salad dressings, making overnight oats, quick pickles, and general food storage.
Store these hummus and veggie snack jars in the fridge for up to a week; I don't recommend freezing!
Just a few homemade hummus recommendations from around the web!
- Roasted sweet potato hummus (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Easy lemon dill hummus (from yours truly)
- Everything bagel spice hummus (also from yours truly!)
- Roasted beet hummus (from Downshiftology)
If you're going the store bought route, try to find hummus without chemical preservatives or other ingredients that are hard to pronounce (or sound like they were made in a lab). I love buying hummus from local Mediterranean restaurants, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Target (the Good & Gather brand hummus is so good!).
Hummus and Veggie Snack Jars
These simple hummus and veggie snack jars are an easy way to prep healthy snacks for the week! Perfect for grab and go, right off your fridge shelves... and you know you'll be eating more veggies throughout the day when they're the most convenient snack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 jars 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Combine
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1 ⅓ cups hummus
- 2-3 bell peppers, cut into 4-inch sticks
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and cut into 4-inch sticks
- 3-4 celery stalks, cut into 4-inch sticks
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds, and cut into 4-inch sticks
- Hummus. Scoop ⅓ cup of hummus into the bottom of each jar.
- Veggies. Add some of each group of chopped veggies to each jar by sticking them into the hummus so that they stand up straight and are close to one another.
- Store. Screw your mason jar lids onto the hummus and veggie snack jars, and store in the fridge until you're ready for a snack!
- Veggie amounts. Adjust the veggie amounts as needed! Your produce might be sized differently, or you just want to make more/fewer snack jars. If you end up with extra veggies cut up, no biggie!
- Hummus amounts. Feel free to adjust to your nutritional needs and hunger levels. ⅓ cup is a good amount to be a filling snack, and if you're not able to finish, you can put it back in the fridge to eat with more veggies or crackers later.
Keywords: hummus and veggies, homemade hummus with veggies
Leave a Reply