This modern three bean salad is a version of the classic with a creamier apple cider vinaigrette and no sugar! Made with pantry staples, this is ones of the easiest plant-based lunches you can make. Served by itself or even to top another salad, it's perfect for weekly meal prep!
Now officially added to things I eat straight out of the fridge?? THREE BEAN SALAD. And a slightly modernized one at that, because we added a little tahini and traded a sugary vinaigrette for a slightly creamier apple cider vinaigrette with no sugar. Fresh and ridiculously simple plant-based lunches, we're coming for you.
Ingredients You'll Need
For this modern three bean salad, the bulk of what you need is in the recipe name itself: three types of beans! This recipe is made from pantry staples, so if you keep a well-stocked pantry, you'll most likely have everything you need already. Here's the full list:
- Kidney beans
- Cannellini beans (or white kidney beans)
- Red onion
- Fresh parsley (cilantro will work, too!)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Honey or maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Three Bean Salad
In only a matter of wash, chop, rinse, drain, blend, and combine, you'll have this salad ready in minutes!
First, you'll get the salad ingredients ready:
- Wash and dice celery and red onion
- Roughly chop fresh parsley
- Drain and rinse kidney beans, cannellini beans, and chickpeas
Then, you'll make the creamy cider vinaigrette. I recommend using a blender for the vinaigrette to really emulsify the ingredients... and avoid having to mince any garlic ;). If you don't have a blender, you can always whisk or shake in a mason jar -- you'll just want to mince the garlic. Simply blend together the extra virgin olive oil, cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, tahini, salt, and pepper until everything is creamy and smooth.
Last but not least, you'll put everything together. Add the beans, celery, onion, and parsley to a bowl and stir to combine; then, pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
And that's it! Your beautiful, delicious, addicting plant-based lunch will be there for the eating.
While great on its own, I actually love to combine three bean salad with other proteins and veggies, too. It's already spiced and dressed, so it basically works as a salad dressing and salad ingredients all in one, so three bean salad is perfect for topping mixed greens, spinach or romaine. It's also delicious served with:
- Other veggies (I love cucumbers or avocados!)
- Hard or soft-boiled eggs
- Alongside tuna or your favorite tuna salad
- Tofu or tempeh
- A toasted piece of sourdough, pita, or your favorite bread (for the past several years, I've been addicted to Angelic Bakehouse bread!).
Prep & Store
As I mentioned, this three bean salad is awesome for meal prepping in advance and having ready for a plant-based, whole foods lunches and snacks throughout the week. You can store the salad in an airtight container in the fridge (I prefer glass storage containers) for a week.
Finally, if you're looking for a few other meal prep lunches, there are a few on Roots and Radishes that I make on the regular: olive tapenade and tuna pasta salad, simple detox quinoa salad, and this pesto pasta salad with chicken. YUM!
That's it, friends! If you make this recipe, let me know in the comments below 🙂Print
Modern Three Bean Salad
This three bean salad is made slightly more modern with a creamy apple cider vinaigrette with Dijon, tahini, and maple syrup! A delicious, healthy, plant-based lunch just for you!
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: ~3 cups
- Category: Lunch, Salad
- Method: Combine
- Cuisine: American
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine ingredients: Add the chickpeas, kidney beans, cannellini beans, celery, red onion, and parsley into a large bowl. Stir to combine everything.
- Make the vinaigrette: To a blender, add olive oil, cider vinegar, garlic, maple syrup, Dijon, tahini, salt, and pepper. Blend until everything is well emulsified. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Dress salad: Pour the creamy apple cider vinaigrette over the three bean salad and toss gently to coat. Eat immediately or store in the fridge until you're ready!
- Fresh herbs: Try swapping parsley for cilantro, and even adding a tiny bit of fresh rosemary! I recommend fresh herbs for this one for optimal flavor.
- Storing: Modern three bean salad can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for a week.
Keywords: three bean salad without sugar, three bean salad