Overnight oats are amazing for a quick and healthy breakfast, packed with protein and easily digestible complex carbs! These kiwi coconut overnight oats come together in minutes and become ultra-creamy and pillowy soft as they sit in the fridge overnight. Get a dose of vitamin C from kiwi, plus delicious flavor and slight crunch from coconut flakes.
Overnight oats are the remedy for busy mornings getting ready for school and work, or simply when you don't want to spend time cooking in the morning! With only a few minutes the night before, you can prepare overnight oats and wake up to pillowy soft, creamy oats with infinite flavor combinations.
Overnight oats are much like a yogurt parfait with muesli and fruit that's be soaked overnight, so it the texture and flavor is different than a warm bowl of oatmeal. Both are delicious in their own way!
Below are the eight ingredients you need for these kiwi coconut overnight oats -- simple!
- Rolled oats - Not steel cut or quick oats! If you require gluten free oats, make sure to purchase oats that are labeled as gluten free.
- Chia seeds - Chia seeds attract liquid, which makes them a perfect ingredient in overnight oats as the help the milk gel up overnight, contributing to the creamy, pudding-like texture! Not to mention they add extra protein, fiber, and nutrients.
- Unsweetened coconut flakes - We'll use these in the oats themselves to soak overnight, and then add more for topping the next day.
- Salt - The smallest of pinches to balance out the sweetness.
- Milk - Any kind you keep on hand will work! We love unsweetened or very lightly sweetened oat milk, or Ripple pea protein milk for a protein boost.
- Greek yogurt - 2% or whole milk Greek yogurt are super creamy and delicious in this yogurt! You can also use your favorite plant-based yogurt. Since we'll be flavoring with vanilla, plain-flavored works best here!
- Vanilla extract - For extra flavor!
- Honey - To lightly sweeten.
- Kiwis - Some of the kiwi will go in with the oats overnight, and the rest will go on top the next day.
Kiwi coconut overnight oats only take a few minutes to make! Then, they'll chill overnight in the fridge as they magically transform into a creamy and delicious breakfast for you the next morning (or for at least an hour, if you want to eat them the same day).
To start, combine the oats, coconut flakes, chia seeds, and small pinch of sea salt in a bowl, and mix it all together.
Then, add the milk, yogurt, vanilla, and honey, and whisk everything together until uniformly combined.
Add in half of your diced up kiwi, and stir. Then, cover the bowl and place it in the fridge overnight or for at least an hour.
The next day, remove the overnight oats from the fridge and top with remaining kiwi and more coconut for a little crunch. Enjoy!
Hint: You can divide the overnight oats into two individual containers or jars for grab & go the next morning!
Substitutions & Variations
If you need to make this recipe fit a plant-based or gluten free diet, make the following substitutions:
- Gluten free - Make sure the rolled oats you buy are labeled as gluten free, which ensures that the oats were not in contact with any other ingredients containing gluten.
- Vegan / Plant-based - Make sure to use plant-based milk and yogurt (there are so many delicious options -- even ones with extra protein and low sugar!). Also, instead of using honey, use agave or maple syrup.
Some other overnight oats variations on my site are cherry lime overnight oats and blueberry lemon zest overnight oats. Both are so delicious, especially in summer when fresh cherries and blueberries are in season (but alas, it is January... fresh berries are something to look forward to!).
Overnight oats can be stored in the fridge for five days. I like to use jars, glass containers, or a bowl covered with bee's wrap or another cover that is not single-use plastic.
I don't recommend freezing overnight oats!
Overnight Oats FAQs
I highly recommend whole rolled oats are the best for overnight oats. Steel cut oats won't soften enough to eat without cooking, and quick oats are broken down quite a bit so they turn into a more mushy texture. Rolled oats become soft enough to eat but maintain some texture.
They sure can! If you choose to warm up kiwi coconut overnight oats, I actually recommended skipping the step where you add the kiwi into the oats. Feel free to add after you've warmed the oats, if desired!
Overnight oats are an excellent source of resistant starch, which feeds good bacteria in your gut. Also, they help form short-chain fatty acids, which have also been known to promote gastrointestinal health.
If you make this recipe, make sure to comment below and tag me on Instagram @rootsradishes, so I can see your recipe creation!!Print
Kiwi Coconut Overnight Oats
For only a few minutes of hands-on time the night before, these kiwi coconut overnight oats double in size and become pillowy soft in the fridge overnight! The perfect breakfast or snack with easily digestible complex carbs.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Chill
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup whole rolled oats (not quick or steel cut oats)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes, + more for topping
- ⅛ teaspoon (or super small pinch) of sea salt
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt (I love 2% or whole milk!)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave, or maple syrup)
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- Combine dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, chia seeds, coconut flakes, and salt, and mix together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Add milk, yogurt, vanilla, honey, and half of the diced kiwi. Stir until everything is combined.
- Chill. Cover the oats and let them chill in the fridge overnight (or for at least one hour).
- Remove from fridge, top, eat. The next morning, take the overnight oats out of the fridge and divide into two servings (save one for later if it's just you eating them!). Top with coconut and remaining kiwi.
- Recipe Time: The recipe time reflects hands-on time, but overnight oats are best when chilled for at least 1 hour, and most convenient when left to chill overnight (8+ hours).
Keywords: kiwi coconut overnight oats, healthy overnight oats recipe