This homemade basil vinaigrette is a clean and delicious salad dressing that's also perfect as a sauce for bowl recipes, pasta salad, or even drizzled over meat or fish! Reminiscent of pesto, this healthy salad dressing will help you use up that summer basil in a just whir of your blender.
Okay, who hasn't had the majority of some freshly purchased or picked herbs go bad before they could use them?! I sure have, so I'm always looking for delicious ways to use up fresh herbs that I can't use up through cooking alone. This small batch homemade basil vinaigrette is a versatile salad dressing, so you can use it on any salad or pasta salad. You can even drizzle over meat or fish!
Homemade basil vinaigrette is super easy to make and allows you take advantage of fresh summer basil! For ingredients, we have all the usual vinaigrette suspects, plus fresh basil! Here's what you need...
- Extra virgin olive oil - A standard base for any vinaigrette!
- Red wine vinegar - A little bit of vinegar brings an acidic balance to any vinaigrette, creating delicious flavor.
- Dijon mustard - Just a small amount helps emulsify vinaigrette and add flavor.
- Maple syrup or natural cane sugar - Just a teaspoon to balance out the flavors!
- Fresh basil leaves - Because this recipe makes a smaller batch, you'll use up about a cup of packed basil leaves. But, if you want to use more basil or have more homemade vinaigrette on hand, feel free to double the recipe!
Would it be totally crazy for us to swap basil out for other herbs?? Indeed, it would not.
How to Make It
Making this basil vinaigrette is as easy as a whir in the blender! All you need to do is combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Feel free to taste and adjust, too! If you feel like it's bitter or too vinegar-y, add a bit more maple syrup or natural cane sugar. If you feel like it could use a flavor pop, try a bit more salt. The beautiful thing about homemade vinaigrette is that you can make small adjustments to get the exact flavor you want.
I recommend storing this vinaigrette or any others in an airtight glass container or mason jar for up to a week. I used a small Weck jar for this batch! Being a smaller batch, it is very to use this up within a week.
This basil vinaigrette is more than just a salad dressing! It is delicious drizzled over meat, seafood, or roasted/grilled veggies. Don't forget about pasta salads, or even a dip for (grilled?!) bread. If you think you'll need more throughout the week or want enough for a salad to serve a crowd, you can easily double this recipe.
More Basil Recipes!
Reduce food waste this summer by whipping up that fresh basil into this delicious vinaigrette, or incorporate more basil into your meals throughout the week. Here are some of my faves:
- Peach Basil Balsamic Chicken and Goat Cheese (skillet meal!)
- Late Summer Veggie Pasta Salad
- Fruit Caprese Pasta Salad
- BLT Panzanella
Or, you can't go wrong with some good old homemade basil pesto.Print
Small Batch Homemade Basil Vinaigrette
This small batch, homemade basil vinaigrette recipe is perfect for using up fresh summer basil! Use it as a healthy salad dressing or even for pasta salad or bowls.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 oz. 1x
- Category: Salad dressing
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp maple syrup or natural cane sugar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ tsp salt (taste and adjust)
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Blend vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth.
- Serving ideas: Serve basil vinaigrette with any salad, pasta salad, grilled/roasted veggies, meat, or seafood. Even dipping bread (grilled, anyone?) is delicious as an appetizer.
Keywords: basil vinaigrette, healthy salad dressing