A simple and healthy wrap recipe with whole wheat tortillas, turkey, tomato, greens, and avocado. Make whole wheat turkey wraps with avocado ahead for weekday lunches, picnics or day trips, or just whip one up at home any time. These wraps are delicious as presented, but they're also highly adaptable (read: add bacon).
All the quick, easy, transportable lunch recipes, please! Because, friends, summer is here, and eating outside is the quintessential summer activity (think parks, backyards, day hikes!), but summer is also incredibly busy, and sometimes we just need quick and delicious lunches to get us through. So, allow me to introduce you to my standing go-to wrap recipe for years: whole wheat turkey wraps with avocado. They're basic in the tastiest way, high in protein and fiber, and made with ingredients that are meant to be together (a classic case of PB & J)... but open to other ingredients (we'll talk potential enhancements...).
The Essential Ingredients
...are only five 🙂
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Turkey breast (deli meat without artificial ingredients, or fresh)
- Plus a little bit of fresh cracked black pepper? Don't mind if I do.
Making & Modifying Whole Wheat Turkey Wraps
All you need to do is mash up the avocado onto the tortilla, layer up your turkey, lettuce, tomato, and optional salt and pepper. Roll that bad boy up, and EAT. I usually make two at a time, because let's be honest, this is a fairly light lunch. And while you're absolutely right, we could pair it with a salad, why would we do that when we can have two wraps... and a salad? Oh yes. You get me.
Now, this being a basic wrap recipe makes it opportunistic: a template, if you will, for whatever kind of wrap your tastebuds desire. What really matters at the end of the day is that you use a lot of avocado (sometimes I use an entire half!), which, combined with turkey and a tortilla, creates the perfect amount of squish complemented by the perfect amount of crunch from romaine.
One you have that down, you can add crispy bacon, roasted red peppers, hot peppers, cheese, pesto, chipotle mayo, pickled red onions, pickles in general, slaw, fresh herbs, aioli... any or all the sandwich things.
A Few Clean Sandwich Guidelines
Really quickly, because it can be challenging to find clean, minimally processed sandwich ingredients, here are some criteria I live by:
- Tortillas have minimal, natural (not synthetic), recognizable ingredients that I can pronounce. (I love La Tortilla Factory, Angelic Bakehouse, and Ezekiel).
- Deli meat or bacon is nitrate/nitrite free and contains minimal, natural, recognizable ingredients. (I love Applegate! But there are plenty of other standard brands at Target and most local grocery stores -- just check the ingredients :)).
- Bread, tortillas, and/or deli meat have little to no added sugar.
- Make homemade sandwich fillings sometimes too (grill or bake turkey/chicken breast, hard-cook eggs, make chicken or tuna salad, etc.).
And then? Devour and be happy.Print
Whole Wheat Turkey Wraps with Avocado
A simple, clean, and healthy wrap recipe with whole wheat tortillas, turkey breast, avocado, and crunchy veggies. Keep it simple or add any ingredients you like! Perfect for picnics and lunches on the go, or just something filling and delicious while at home.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Wraps
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: American
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (or sprouted grains)
- ¼-½ avocado
- 3-4 oz. all-natural turkey breast
- 2-3 tomato slices
- 2-3 romaine leaves (or your favorite greens)
- Lay tortilla out on a flat surface or large plate.
- Place avocado on open-face tortilla, and mash with a fork. Spread evenly along center of tortilla.
- Layer turkey, tomato, and spinach in center of tortilla.
- Roll it up and enjoy, or wrap up and save for later.
Keywords: whole wheat turkey wraps with avocado, whole wheat turkey wraps, healthy wrap recipes, healthy lunch recipes, clean wrap recipes, clean sandwich recipes
Leave a Reply